While each cookie itself is easy to make with simple ingredient lists, there’s no two ways about it, making cookie boxes is quite an undertaking.
So here’s everything you’ll need together in one list to make this European flavoured cookie box, plus handy tips for creating your own.
- It’s a good idea to have a theme in mind when selecting which cookies to make, or otherwise you’ll be there forever, unable to make up your mind
- Consider the mode and timing of gifting. If posting for example, bars, balls and small cookies tend to be a bit sturdier. When will you be seeing them to deliver, how long before they’ll be unwrapping and devouring
- Bring together all your squirrelled boxes (x6), paper, sweets, string and ribbons and have your boxes to the ready before embarking on baking. Make sure you’ve got all the ingredients before you start – nothing worse than having to drop everything to go out and get a basic you thought you had but don’t anymore – see list below
- Read the recipes carefully first – big one for us! – be aware of mid recipe chilling/cooling times and if you sort it right you can use these times to move another recipe forward. Think about quantities and recipe yields
- Make it a bit easier on yourself – cheat! The sugar spiced nuts are a really easy thing to make and you’ll have noted we included some shop bought sweets in the mix
- Set aside a day to bake – and what a day it is! Spent surrounded by sweet christmasy scents, taste testing and lavishing your love on cookies for friends and family
- If you can’t set aside a day, make ahead and freeze. Keep this in mind while deciding which cookies will adorn your boxes, and bear in mind that Vanillekipferl are meant to be eaten on day 2 or 3 when they have taken on a crumbly biscuit quality
- In this instance, handily, the sugar spiced nuts need egg whites and the vanillekipferl need egg yolks so it all works out beautifully!
955g plain flour + 3 tsp for the florentines – or 1kg!
425g icing sugar + for copious dusting
190g golden caster sugar
225g granulated sugar
60g cocoa powder
3 tbsp instant espresso powder
4 tsp matcha powder, plus green food colouring
500g whole almonds
150g ground almonds
50g blanched almonds, finely chopped
50g mixed peel, finely chopped
25g sultanas, finely chopped
25g dried cherries, finely chopped
325g 70% dark chocolate
100ml double cream
4 x 250g butter – 3 x unsalted, 1 x salted
1 pack sugar
3 tsp extract
3 cardamom pods
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
All of which makes a whopping 188 cookies and florentines, plus the nuts! Enough for at least 6 boxes and some leftover for you.
Recipes to follow in a jiffy, happy shopping!
From Charlie and the Big Potatoes.